Thursday, July 16, 2009

BUS SYSTEM (weekly assignment)

During 2 weeks in Vancouver, I had a chance to take the bus. It was very interesting because there were some differences between Vancouver bus and Korean bus. Now, I will talk about them.

You can see this pictuer here.

First, a bus card is different.

In Vancouver, I just show my monthly ticket to a bus driver; however, I have to attach my bus card to a machine in my city. This machine will calculate your bus fee. Also, you can pay your fee by cash but it is not cheaper than the bus card.


In addition, we have the changing bus system. If I want to change a bus without payment, I have to attach my bus card to a machine that is located in the back door before I take off. When I do it, I can take any bus (except the same number bus before I took) within 30 minutes.


You can see this picture here.

Second, there is dissimilarity in bus color.

While there is one color in Vancouver, there are 3 colors in my city.

The bus colors in my city mean the route of buses. Specifically, the red one means an express bus. The blue one means it goes to one district to another district also, the green one means that it gives its service within one district (sometimes it goes to anther district, but not many).














The last is that there are some differences in the inside of the bus.

Vancouver bus does not have a guide map of root in a bus.

On the other hand, there is an information map of bus root in my city bus.

Furthermore, I can hear a next station including the present station that means we can check where we are looking at the map. Also, in Vancouver, there are two ways to show passengers’ intention using buttons and pulling a rope. Conversely, we have only one method to notify that we are going to take off. And, I have to use the back door when I take off the bus. If not, it is not a good manner in my city.

You can see this picture here & here. ( it shows the time when the bus is coming-the right picture.)

From now, I talked about the differences between them. Each has its strong points and drawbacks. I think it is a good chance to think about Vancouver bus my city bus.

7 comments:

  1. Chinese bus system totally differ Korean bus system and Canada bus system. Chinese bus system does not have monthly buspass, so we usually must pay cash for them, and we donot have ticket saler on the bus. I want to travel Korea, and take Korean bus because I always watch Korean bus in Korean drama, so I am interest in Korean bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i used to study in London, Britain
    the buses system is not like here in Vancouver
    there are many different such as the electronic card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post, Helen! I like it. Few years ago I visited your country, but at that time I didn't had any idea about your country's public transportation. After reading your post my next travel to S.Korea will be more enjoyable knowing about it. Tnx, Helen. Keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly speaking, Korean transportation is more convenient, technical and organized than Vancouver's. I can't notice my destination what I have to take off in the bus, before taking a bus It is necessary to observe Vancouver bus map.
    It's clearly true that Korean transportation is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for gave a useful information Helen. Nice contrast and comparison. I have a one question about Korea. Which public transportation is better in Korea, Subway or Bus?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It depends on what city you visit in. If you visit Seoul, it is better to take both of them. But, when you visit my city, you should take a bus because the subway system is develping now..

    ReplyDelete