Thursday, July 23, 2009

HOW TO TAKE A TRAIN (weekly assignment)








Today, I will talk about some steps “how to take a train in Korea.”

First, check out your train. There are 3 kinds of trains in my country except the commuting trains. One is KTX, another is Saemaul train, the other in Mugunghwa train. The first thing is the express train and the last one is the slowest train. There are different stations depending on the train, so you have to check them.

Second, investigate the time table. You can do that through the internet instead of going to a station. Also, you are able to know the time of arriving and department.
Third, reserve your ticket. (your choice) If you want to reserve your ticket through the internet, you must be a member of KORAIL(the company name). If not, you can register without payment. However, you can only pay your money by your credit card.
Fourth, buy a ticket. Unlike western countries, our culture is not familiar with making a reservation, so you are able to buy your ticket without booking a seat. However, you have to book your seats some times such as national holidays.

Fifth, go to the right platform. There are lots of platforms in a station. Usually, they are classified according to the final destinations. If you have hard time finding your platform, you can ask to staff. Furthermore, there is a machine that shows the train name, a starting station, final station and the platform number.
Finally, keep your train ticket. Some years ago, you had to return your ticket when you arrived at your destination station. You don’t have to do these days. It means you can take your ticket. This system helps train users get some benefits, such as tax deduction (I don’t know how to work; just I read it in the pamphlet).

In brief, if you follow these steps, you can enjoy your train trip in my country!
P.S When I go to my hometown, I usually take the Mugunghwa train because it is cheap. (but it takes longer time than other trains.)
Picture from 1, 2, 3 picture from 4, 5, 6

2 comments:

  1. this is very helpful for me when i think i will visit korea one day. hehe.i think the transportation in korea is better than here, right? in my country, we have a terrible pulic transportation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for good information. Eventhough, I'm Korean, I didn't know specifically about it. I've taken Mugungwhaho frequently from Busan to Ulsan. I can remind about those days.

    ReplyDelete